The typical and historical L-shaped building type oft he region provided the impetus for the architects to translate the typology into the 21st century with this distinct landmark structure. Developing the form created a protected courtyard and the separate living and sleeping zones the family asked for. The generous glass areas create plenty of natural light and extend the living space visually into the garden and the hills behind it.
Cantilevering the corner of the L-shape created a covered entrance area that leads into a two-story foyer and a courtyard. The upper level is divided into a bedroom and a living-dining-kitchen zone. Between the two areas is a continuous open space that is flexible and can be altered over the years by the residents. Currently the space is being used as a children's play and reading area.
The house, with 300 m2 of usable floor area, impresses with its generous views of idyllic rolling hills flooding the interior with natural light. The deliberate and expressive building form establishes a dialogue with its surrounding landscape and feels light and airy.
Location: Burgenland, Austria
Planning Period: 09/2009 – 01/2010
Construction Period: 10/2010 – 02/2012
Usable floor area: 300 m² (excluding garage and technical rooms)
Gross floor area: 450 m² (including garage and technical rooms)
Building volume: 1850 m³
Construction: Reinforcedconcrete / partial steel (canterlever) andwood (canopy)
Heatingdemand: 20 kWh/m2a
Type ofheating: Wood pellets central heating station (serving 3 single family houses)
Photos: Hertha Hurnaus